The Montgomery Monument

This is what is commonly referred to as "The Montgomery Monument".  It was placed in early 2013 just before decoration day.  The concept of this monument was that of Curtis Gant, long time chairman of the board of directors of the Shady Grove Cemetery Association.  He first envisioned a plaque of some sort to give tribute to John and Ollie Montgomery for their 1896 donation of the land that is now known as Shady Grove Cemetery.  As time passed and ideas evolved he thought more along the lines of honoring all of the Montgomery familes at Shady Grove along with something that would leave a permanent piece of history for people to find when they visit Shady Grove.  He was also very animate about this proposed idea not being taken out of the donations that are given towards the upkeep of the cemetery.

Front of The Montgomery Monument

Although he received the first donation towards the monument from Ouida Glynn (Montgomery) Simmons Nichols (great great grand daughter of Major James Montgomery) several years before, Curtis was never to realize the completion of his idea prior to his death in 2011.  However, shortly after his death a special fund was established to make this dream a reality.  Shortly before decoration day 2013 there had been enough money collected to complete the purchase and construction of the monument. The result was the monument that you see above.  (Back side engraving below)  I like to think that he is looking down on us and is proud to see that the work that was so special to him, continues on.    Special thanks to Beverly Chambers from Classic Monuments of Crump for diligently working with us on the construction and placement of this monument, and to Tommy Ross of Milan, TN whose significant contribution to the fund along with all the other contributors made this monument possible.  

Reverse side of The Montgomery Monument

The monument as constructed tells a brief version of the origin of the cemetery and how it wasn't officially "Shady Grove Cemetery" until sometime after 1896 when it became a "public burying ground" by the deed from John and Ollie Montgomery, grandson of Major James Montgomery.